As mentioned in the previous post, today normal updating of series has been disabled, and the Github repo has been archived.
There is now an alternative to trackr.moe under the name of Kenmei which has support for MangaDex as well as importing from trackr.moe.
You can find them @ https://www.kenmei.co
For those who want to, exporting from the site is possible if you wish, although there is currently nowhere to migrate to.
- Lists can be exported via the option page under the Public List option. JSON/CSV is the way to go.
- Favourites and History can be exported via the Export option on their respective pages.
The series update change I should probably clarify to those who don’t know how we get updates.
We used two different methods of getting updates:
Method 1: This updates by looking at the chapter list page for each series and grabbing the latest chapter. This is also how we populate the initial data for the series.
- Usually provides more information, such as the time chapters were added, chapter title and so on.
- Can check for any missed or bad updates caused by method 2.
- More requests per/hr. We don’t know what has a new chapter, therefore we need to check everything.
- This can in some cases also get IP blocked due to the number of requests.
- Chapter list pages have a habit of changing more often, which in turns breaks tracking on our end. Ideally all sites would have some of good working API, but in most cases we are required to screenscrape.
Method 2: This utilizes site latest releases lists for new updates. Previously also utilized following lists.
- Much faster and efficent. This allows us to get all the new releases very quickly, and in a single request.
- Due to the low amount of requests this makes, it allows us to keep series up to date within 30~ minutes of it being added on the tracked site.
- If the latest chapter is removed / url changed, we won’t know about it. This is usually fixed by method 1 checking done later on.
Method 1 is being disabled, however will still be used for the initial update for new series being tracked.
Method 2 will continue to be used. In most cases this should continue to update series without fail, however bad or malicious chapter updates that previously broke tracking temporily will no longer be fixed. Also in some cases, series that ignore the latest releases list will no longer update.
Due to this change, these sites will no longer work:
These sites will continue to work:
Most scanlator sites should continue to work for the forseeable future, assuming they don’t decide to switch their CMS. In those cases, the site will just be disabled.
Aggregate sites will probably break at some point depending on their update frequency. Any of these sites will be disabled if this happens. The only exception here being MangaDex, which I’ll probably try and keep alive in some fashion.
Since this is the end, I thought it may be useful to share various stats about the site as some people may find this interesting.
- Total amount of followers per series/site (>=30 followers)
- Total amount of series tracked per site (including sites no longer tracked)
- Most favourited series (by chapter, excluding pages) (>=5 favourites)
If anyone has other ideas for stat dumps, feel free to ask in the comments.
This is probably the last post I’ll make about the site here, or on Twitter.
As far as I’m concerned, I’m now hands-off with trackr.moe. If stuff breaks, it breaks.
For those who used the site over the years, as well as those who will continue to use it in it’s unsupported state, thanks. I’m glad that one of my ideas helped in some way.